When applying for a mortgage, it's important to provide the bank with all the necessary documents because this will greatly speed up the approval process.
The bank will usually need the following information:
- ID number of the prospective borrower(s): DNI (in the case of Spanish nationals) and NIE (in the case of non-Spanish nationals).
- Deeds of any other properties owned.
- Last year's income tax return.
- Earnest money or deposit agreement if it has already been signed.
- Information related to the property: a land registry report is a useful document for checking the details.
- CIRBE (Central Credit Register of the Bank of Spain). This database contains information about all the guarantees, loans, credits and risks that financial institutions have undertaken with their customers, whether individuals or legal entities.
- If you are currently renting a property, you will need to supply the rental agreement and your latest rent receipts.
- Up-to-date employment history report ('informe de vida laboral').
- Recent bank statements. This is very valuable information because it will enable the bank to assess your financial situation.
In addition to these general documents, you will have to supply more specific documents related to your employment status: