Skip to contents

Green hydrogen and its opportunities for the businesses of tomorrow


29.06.2021 Written by: Editorial Dept

Future expectations of mass usage of green hydrogen.

  • Used as commodities, green hydrogen can decarbonise intensive industries, such as petrochemicals, chemicals and fertilisers.
  • It can have other uses where electrification is not efficient or viable, or is very expensive (such as long-distance freight and public transport, urban services and multi-mode transport).
  • Green hydrogen can also be used to develop synthetic fuels and other products, in combination with CO2 captured in industrial processes.
  • Finally, the full potential of renewable hydrogen can be developed as an energy source for storage and decarbonisation of the thermal sector, for both industrial (such as steel, ceramics and glass) and domestic uses.
Grey hydrogen 95% Blue hydrogen 4% Green hydrogen 1%
Production Transformation No transformation Industry Transformation Transport End use Energy commodity. Steel industry Chemical industry Refineries Transport Maritime transportAir transportCarsRailLorriesBuses Conduits Storage Electrolysis Sustainable CO 2 capture Synthetic fuels* Green ammonia Lorries Maritimetransport Heating Energy generation

The main drivers for the future development of the use of green hydrogen:

  • Expressions of interest are non-binding and you can access financing without having taken part in any such public consultations.

  • Except for special circumstances, projects submitted before the funding calls will not be accepted.

  • Public funding for projects is expected to be around 20%. The rest must come from private sources.

  • In addition to national programmes, companies can apply directly to European programmes.

  • The Strategic Projects for Economic Recovery and Transformation (SPERT) demand participation from the entire value chain of a sector, which means they cover SMEs as well as large enterprises.

  • The REACT funds are managed by the autonomous communities and are non-repayable grants for the post-Covid recovery.

  • A good project must be disruptive and realistic, promote collaboration between companies, and have a positive impact on the sector and region.

  • It's wise to designate an individual or a team at each company with sole responsibility for managing these funds.

  • It's important to identify projects that meet the conditions of the specifications and flesh them out: make them greener, more inclusive ...

  • Get to work on your projects right now to ensure you meet the deadline. The time frames are very tight.

Current final energy demand in the EU Electrifiable with available clean technologies Need for green hydrogen: the 16% remaining will be for decarbonisation 84% 84% Current opportunities From grey hydrogen to green hydrogen in today's uses On-site generation Raw materialsfor industry Chemicals Future opportunities Sectors “difficult to overcome” Maritimetransport Airtransport High temp.industry Other challenges: Transport,distribution and use

Information obtained through the hydrogen cycle, organised by Adegi. Webinar participants and speakers:

Samuel Perez Ramirez

Iberdrola Innovation, Sustainability and Quality division.

Javier Rodriguez

Managing director of Cidetec Energy Storage.

Arturo Fernández Goyenechea

Innovation manager at Petronor.

Imanol Iturrioz

Head of R&D at the CAF Group.

Javier Brey Sánchez

Chairman of the Spanish Hydrogen Association and H2B2 founder and CEO.

Fernando Espiga

Head of Energy Transition at Tecnalia.

Raquel Azcárraga

Head of Sustainability at Bankinter.

You may also like